Filing a Claim for Lost Wages After an Accident in Wisconsin

woman calculating payroll If you are unable to work due to an injury caused by another person’s negligence, you may be eligible for compensation for your lost wages. You must prove your injuries prevented you from working and that they were a direct result of someone else’s negligent actions.

Our knowledgeable Green Bay personal injury lawyers are prepared to help you file a claim for your damages, including lost wages, medical expenses and more. We can discuss your legal options during a free consultation. There are no upfront fees, and we do not charge you anything if we validate your claim. You only pay us if we recover compensation for you.

Call us today at (877) 888-5201.

When Can You Claim Lost Wages?

You can only claim lost wages if your injury prevented you from working. If you decide to take a sick day or vacation day because for some other reason, you cannot obtain compensation for it.

You can claim compensation for all the time you missed as a direct result of your injuries, even if it was just a few days. Our attorneys know how missing just a few days or hours can be financially devastating for many injury victims.

How Can I Prove My Injuries Kept Me From Working?

Proving that your injuries kept you out of work does not strictly mean your injuries were severe enough to prevent you from doing your job. Although that is one major element of a lost wages claim. You may also be able to pursue a lost wages claim if your doctors’ appointments interfered with your work schedule. For example, if you work Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and your appointments with doctors occurred during those hours, you would not have been able to work all the hours you were scheduled.

What Evidence May Prove the Value of My Lost Wages Claim?

You need to prove that your injuries were the reason you could not work. You also need to establish how much money you lost because you were unable to work.

Your medical records can help prove the severity of your injuries while your employment record shows how much time you missed at work and why.


Claims for Salaried or Hourly Wages

Employees who earn a salary or hourly income should have an easier time proving the value of their claim, as there should be a clear record of how much they earn. Evidence to prove income includes things like paystubs and W-2s.

Claims for Tipped or Commission-Based Wages

Tipped and commission-based employees may have a harder time proving exactly how much money they lost.

If you are a tipped or commission-based employee, you may be able to use a paystub from the prior year to show how much you would have made had you been able to work.

Claims for Self-Employed Accident Victims

Accident victims who run their own business or work freelance may have the hardest time proving the value of their lost wages claim, as their income and workload is not as steady as someone who works on an hourly basis.

However, tax documents may still help determine how much the person’s business made the prior year when he or she was not injured.

What Other Factors Should I Consider as Part of My Lost Wages Claim?

Accident victims can include Paid Time Off (PTO) hours in their lost wages claim if they used these hours when they could not work. Although your job is not legally required to give you back any vacation hours you used for doctor’s appointments, you may be able to get compensated for the value of that time you hoped to use for a real vacation.

Your lost wages claim should also take any missed opportunities at work into consideration. For example, a big sales commission, promotion or bonus.

Let Us Help With Your Claim. Call Today

If you lost wages due to injuries caused by someone else’s negligence, you have the right to pursue compensation for those lost wages.

Our experienced attorneys are prepared to investigate your claim to determine what legal options may be available to you. We have helped numerous accident victims recover compensation. Give us the opportunity to do the same for you.

Schedule a free consultation. Call (877) 888-5201