Slip and fall accidents can cause many types of injuries and leave victims with costly medical bills, physical pain and loss of income. Working with a qualified Green Bay slip and fall lawyer at Sigman, Janssen, Sewall, Pitz & Burkham can be very beneficial as you review possible legal options. Our lawyers may be able to help you recover compensation for your damages.
Our firm has nearly 100 years of combined experience in proving legal counsel to Wisconsin residents and our lawyers have recovered millions in compensation. Contact our experienced attorneys for a free consultation to determine if you may have a valid claim. All of our services are provided on contingency, so there are no upfront costs.
Need help? Call (877) 888-5201 today.
Do I Have a Slip and Fall Case?
Proving that a victim has a slip and fall case can be difficult. Generally, it must be proven that there was a dangerous condition that caused you to slip and fall and the property owner was negligent in handling the condition.
For example, the property owner could be held liable if you can prove one of the following things:
- The property owner should have recognized a dangerous condition, such as a pothole or loose floorboards, and took action to remove or repair it. An experienced Green Bay slip and fall attorney can help you determine whether a reasonable person would have noticed the hazard and whether or not the property owner had enough time to fix the issue before the accident occurred.
- The property owner directly caused the dangerous or hazardous condition that led to the slip and fall accident. For instance, a property owner might be held liable for a slip and fall injury if he or she left trash or debris on the floor and it was reasonable to expect someone to trip, slip or fall because of it.
The property owner's legal duties to you depend on your legal status on the property. For example, you could be an invitee, licensee or trespasser on another's property. If you were a licensee or invitee, the property owner has a duty to use ordinary care to keep the premises safe.
Our knowledgeable Green Bay slip and fall attorneys can review the specifics of your accident to determine if you may have a case.
Talk to an attorney by calling (877) 888-5201.
Partial Fault for a Slip and Fall
If you have a valid case, you may be found partially at fault for the slip and fall accident. Wisconsin uses a modified comparative negligence rule (§895.045) to determine what happens when the victim is partially at fault. Under the law, you can still pursue compensation from any other party that is equally or more at fault than you are, but you will be prohibited from obtaining compensation from anyone who has less fault for the accident than you.
However, if you are still able to pursue compensation, your total award will be reduced by your percentage of fault. For instance, say that a jury awards you $60,000 for your injury but you are found to be 20 percent at fault. Your award would then be reduced by $12,000, or 20 percent.
A licensed Green Bay slip and fall lawyer can discuss this law with you and how it may apply to your situation.
Call us at (877) 888-5201 today.
Deadline for Filing a Claim in Wisconsin
The statute of limitations for a lot of personal injury lawsuits, including slip and fall lawsuits is three years from the date of the accident, according to Wisconsin Statute §893.54. This means you have a three-year deadline for pursuing a claim against the negligent property owner who caused you harm. Failing to file a lawsuit within that deadline may result in the court dismissing your case.
However, if you have a case, there are some exceptions to the statute of limitations that may apply. For instance, when injury victims are minors, the statute of limitations will be extended to their 20th birthday. We recommend that you contact our legal team as soon as possible, to learn more about the time limitations and the legal options that you may have for your specific incident.
Determining the Value of Your Damages
The damages available in a slip and fall case depend on the specifics of that case, such as the severity of the injuries and how those injuries affect the victim. Your injuries may require extensive medical treatment, including things like surgeries, physical therapy and rehabilitation, prescription medications, medical testing, and appointments with doctors. While you recover, you may also be unable to work, which can easily put you and your family in a financial crisis due to the loss of income. The physical pain you deal with on a daily basis can also be very severe and difficult to manage.
Our attorneys can carefully review the injuries you have suffered to help determine what your potential case may be worth. Determining the value of a case is complicated and it is something our experienced attorneys are prepared to handle for you, if you have a case and choose to be represented by our qualified attorneys.
Complete our Free Case Review form today.
Types of Slip and Fall Injuries Our Firm Handles
Slip and fall accidents can be quite severe, and victims may be left with extensive injuries. If you suffered any injuries in a slip and fall accident, including any of those listed below, you can discuss your situation with our trusted Green Bay slip and fall lawyers.
Some severe injuries that can be caused by slip and fall accidents include:
- Broken bones – Unexpected falls can cause fractures in the hip bone, tailbone, arms and wrists, or legs and ankles.
- Traumatic brain injuries – If you hit your head on the ground or on another object, you may experience a concussion or other type of traumatic brain injury. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries.
- Spinal cord injuries – When you slip and fall on your back, you may strike a hard object, which can damage your spinal cord, possibly causing some level of paralysis.
- Shoulder dislocations – The force of impact of a slip and fall can easily dislocate the shoulder. A dislocated shoulder can be difficult to move, extremely painful and begin to swell after it is injured.
- Hip fractures – A fractured hip bone can decrease mobility and may even decrease life expectancy. The CDC reports that over 95 percent of hip fractures are caused by falling, usually by falling sideways.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a slip and fall accident, it is important that you first seek medical treatment for your injury. Some serious injuries may not be immediately apparent. By seeing a doctor and receiving a prompt diagnosis and treatment plan, you can help protect not only your well-being, but possibly your legal right to compensation. After you have received medical care, we recommend that you contact the experienced Green Bay slip and fall lawyers at our firm to determine if you may be eligible for compensation and the next steps to take.
Call a Green Bay Slip and Fall Lawyer Today
Slip and fall cases can be very difficult to navigate on your own. This is why you may want an experienced Green Bay slip and fall lawyer at your side to protect your best interests. Someone else could be at fault for your accident, and you may be eligible for compensation for medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and other out-of-pocket costs. The Sigman Jansen legal team is prepared to do everything in our power to pursue the maximum compensation you may be eligible for.
We can answer any questions you may have about the slip and fall legal process during a free, no obligation consultation. You pay no out-of-pocket fees for our legal services, and we only get paid if we successfully obtain compensation for you.