Employee Rights and Responsibilities
Fighting for the Rights of Injured Workers
In Wisconsin, workers’ compensation laws are designed to ensure that injured employees receive the benefits they need to support themselves and their families while they are unable to work. As an injured employee, you have many employee rights in the workers’ compensation system, including:
- The right to receive benefits regardless of who caused or contributed to your injury, except under the following circumstances:
- your injury was self-inflicted or intentional,
- or your injury happened during an off-duty activity.
- The right to receive reasonable and appropriate medical care for your injury, including:
- the right to choose a first and second choice of doctor,
- and the right to seek medical treatment from a different doctor for emergency treatment or upon referral from your original doctor.
- The right to strict confidentiality of your records and information.
The Appleton workers’ compensation lawyers at Sigman, Janssen, Sewall, Pitz & Burkham make it their mission to protect injured workers’ rights to receive the benefits they deserve. If you’ve been hurt on the job, we want to fight for you. Call us at (877) 888-5201 or fill out a free initial consultation form.
As an injured worker, you are responsible for beginning the process of filing your claim for workers’ compensation benefits. Additionally, you must follow all laws and guidelines as outlined by the Wisconsin Workers’ Compensation Division, including:
- informing your employer about your work-related injury or illness as soon as possible,
- informing doctors of how the injury occurred,
- accepting reasonable medical examinations or surgical treatment,
- providing the insurance carrier with current contact information, including home address and telephone number,
- and informing the insurance carrier if your income changes.
At Sigman Janssen, our Wisconsin workers’ compensation lawyers are here to answer any of your questions about what to do after your work-related injury. We make it our goal to keep our clients informed and educated about their cases, including their legal and financial options. Contact us and get the help you need today.