Auto Accident FAQ

Auto Accident FAQs

  1. What should I do after a car accident?

    If you’re injured in a car accident, there are a few steps you can take that may help you build a stronger case.

    • Seek medical attention. If you’re hurt, it’s important that you seek immediate medical care. The results of your case depend on thorough and accurate medical records documenting your injuries.
    • Collect contact information. If you’re physically able to at the scene of the accident, ask the other driver, any passengers, and any accident witnesses for their phone numbers, email addresses, and insurance information.
    • Obtain the police report. Call the police station and obtain a copy of the police report. Many facts about your case are documented by the police at the scene of the accident.
    • Get legal help. It’s important that you seek legal help immediately if you’ve been injured in an accident. There are time limits on how long you have to file a legal claim.
    The Appleton car lawyers at Sigman, Janssen, Sewall, Pitz & Burkham are here to help. Call (877) 888-5201 or complete a free initial consultation form now.

  2. What are some common car crash injuries?

    Whether your accident injuries are minor or severe, you may still have a case. Some common car crash injuries our Appleton car accident lawyers have seen include:

    • broken bones,
    • bruises,
    • emotional distress,
    • sprains,
    • traumatic brain injuries,
    • whiplash,
    • and more.
    If you’re experiencing symptoms of any of these injuries or others, Sigman Janssen may be able to help.

  3. What kind of compensation is available to me if I’m injured in a car accident?

    If you’re injured in a car accident that was caused by someone else’s careless actions, there are two types of damages—or monetary compensation—you may be able to claim: economic and non-economic.

    • Economic damages: These are damages that you can prove were an actual financial loss, such as medical expenses, lost wages, and out-of-pocket costs.
    • Non-economic damages: These are damages that are not considered an actual financial loss, such as pain and suffering and lost consortium.
    We strive to get our clients the best results possible for their cases.

  4. What is the Statute of Limitations in Wisconsin?

    For auto accidents and other personal injury accidents that result from another person’s negligence—or careless actions—you usually have three years from the date of the accident to file a legal claim. There are exceptions to this rule, so it’s always a good idea to take action immediately if you are injured in a car crash that wasn't your fault.

  5. How much is my case worth?

    Without first reviewing the details of your case, we can’t know exactly how much your case is worth. There are a number of factors to consider, such as:

    • the severity of your injures,
    • whether or not the accident was totally the other driver's fault,
    • whether or not you are partially responsible for the accident,
    • and more.
    Once we have time to evaluate the details of your claim and present the facts to the insurance company, our car accident lawyers in Wisconsin will have a better idea of the value of your case.