Sigman Janssen Legal Blog
How do I file for Social Security Disability?
May 18, 2018
When you’re filing for SSD, it’s important that you have complete and thorough documentation of your impairment and your work history. In your initial application, you will be asked to provide the following information:
- your Social Security number;
- your birth or baptismal certificate;
- names, addresses, and phone numbers of the doctors, caseworkers, hospitals, and clinics where you’ve been treated and the dates of your visits;
- names and dosage of all the medicine you take;
- medical records from your doctors, therapists, hospitals, clinics, and caseworkers that you already have in your possession;
- laboratory and test results;
- a summary of where you worked and the kind of work you did;
- a copy of your most recent W-2 Form (Wage and Tax Statement) or, if you’re self-employed, your federal tax return for the past year.